The International Conference offers an occasion for experts, academics, and researchers alike to come together to consider pressing issues in an open forum; seeking to define questions, pursue answers, search for research synergies, and more; to both reflect on the recent past, and look forward to the future; to exchange ideas and findings in a congenial atmosphere.
There has been little research on the historical, economic, and cultural connections between Iran and the Malay World. While a few publications in the last decades on these topics had appeared, much more research needs to be done that makes use of the variety of sources and data available. Also of interest is the role of Iran in the development of civilization and culture in the Malay World, as well as the Malay World’s influence in Iran, especially during the last decades.
To discuss these issues, the International Conference on “Historical and Contemporary Relations, and the Future” was organized and will take place in Kuala Lumpur on 29 and 30 October 2022.
The event is organized by the Asia West-East centre (Asia WE) in collaboration with the Asia Middle East Center (AMEC), Bait Al Amanah Institute, the Department of Malay Studies, the National University of Singapore, and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS), University of Malaya
We encouraged participation in the conference through the presentation of original papers focusing on the main theme and the following sub-themes:
- History of relationships between Iranians and the Malay world
- Current political, economic, and cultural relationships between Iran and the Malay world, its perspective, and possibilities for development
- scientific, Cultural, and religious interactions between Iranians and the Southeast Asians
- Influence of the Iranian thinkers on the Southeast Asian thought
- Academic interaction between Iran and the Malay world: past and present
- Commonalities and differences between the Iranian and Southeast Asian Sufism
- Influence of the Persian language, literature (including the translated one) on the Malay language and culture
- Impact of the Islamic Revolution in Iran on the Southeast Asian and Malaysian thought
After the conference, selected papers will be published after a rigorous peer-review process.