THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
6th – 7th of March 2019
Institute of Malaysian and International Studies (IKMAS), National University of Malaysia (UKM)
Cultural Center of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Malaysia
Asia West East Centre (Asia WE)
CALL FOR PAPERS
The International Conference
Assessing the Interconnection between Iran and Southeast Asia in Contemporary Perspectives
The first International SEARCH Conference offers an occasion for experts, academics and researchers alike to come together to consider pressing issues in an open forum; seeking to define questions, pursue answers, search for research synergies and more; to both reflect on the recent past, and look forward to the future; to exchange ideas and findings in a congenial atmosphere.
Although some research has been done on Iranian influence in the Malay world, there was no consolidated work touching on all the aspects in their complexity. The role of Iranians in the spread of Islam in the Malay world of Southeast Asia is also of interest and sparks interesting debates.
Due to the academic and cultural significance of this theme, the International Conference on “Assessing the Interconnection between Iran and Southeast Asia in Contemporary Perspectives” is being organized at National University of Malaysia (UKM).
We encourage participation in the conference through the presentation of original papers focusing on the main theme and the following sub-themes:
- Tradition and modernity: The continuity and discontinuity in the historical and cultural development of Iran and SEA
- The impact of Iranian diasporas to SEA: Connection, contestation, convergence
- Recent intellectual exchange between Iranian and Southeast Asia scholars
- New approaches to the cultural and social studies between Iran and the Malay World
- The economic sanction against Iran: Ongoing challenges and opportunities for SEA
- Post-Revolution 1979: The role of state and non-state institutions in connecting Iran and SEA
- Understanding Iran’s multifaceted foreign policy and its consequences to SEA
- Iran counterterrorism strategy: What can SEA learn from Iran?
We welcome contributions related to the above themes from any discipline, including but not limited to anthropology, sociology, business and economics, cultural studies, literature, history, philosophy, linguistics, geography, and art.
Abstracts of proposed papers in the range of 200-300 words should be submitted by email to Ms. Neda Zoghi at [email protected] by 15 January 2019.
The proposals should include the title, name, affiliation, email address and a short biographical note of about 60-80 words in length. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by 15 January 2019.
After the conference, selected papers will be published after a rigorous peer-review process.
For enquiries, please email to:
Ms Neda Zoghi at [email protected]
Mr Ramze Endut at [email protected]
For regular updates please visit:
Abstract submission deadline: 15th of January 2019
Notification to authors: 20th of January 2019
Full paper deadline: 30th of January 2019
Date of seminar: 6th – 7th of March 2019